Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The 3252 and The Empire Boys




I have been a football (soccer) since 1994, and even before that if you count going to LA Lazers games back in the 80's. But due to the FIFA World Cup being held here in the United States I feel in love with what they call "The Beautiful Game." Now I would watch matches on TV and I would attend games, and I was always intrigued by what they call the "supporter sections" of the clubs mainly when I would watch LIGA MX games and EPL games which was what I was mostly watching when I first started watching football.


So watching the games you couldn't help but not notice the "Supporter Sections" of all these clubs throughout the world. When I would go to matches I would consider heading over to these sections and joining in with the songs, chants, dancing and jumping, but I never did. I even considered joining one of these groups, the Black Army was one of them many years ago.
One of the main reasons why I never joined a supporter group was because I live in the Inland Empire which is around 50 miles from Los Angeles, so going to games every week and watch parties was just way too long of a drive.
Then in 2018 the club I had been waiting for since 2014 joined the MLS, and on July 15, 2018 I attended my first LAFC match at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, CA. The thing that I was watching the most was the 3252, the North End of the stadium and the famous supporter section of LAFC. I had never seen anything like it, 3252 people chanting the same songs in unison, before the match, during the match and after the match, it was amazing. As I looked down at the 3252 I couldn't help but notice all the different flags of various supporter groups; District 9 Ultras, Los Cuervos, Black Army, Empire Boys, Expo Originals, Lucky Boys just to name a few that were there in the beginning of the 2018 season.



On my way home from the game on the metro I sent a Twit out to the 3252 asking if there was any supporter group in the IE, and they directed me to the Empire Boys.
So I hit up the Empire Boys right away and they were based right in my backyard in the Inland Empire (Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Ontario, Fontana, Corona, Riverside). I went to my first watch party which was a match against the Carson Galaxy, now being that the game was at the Banc it was a small turnout, half the people there were Daniel Figuera's family. Let's not talk about the game (the Horta game), but I had fun. The next watch party I attended was the famous watch party with the Black Army, The Tigers and Empire Boys at The Titled Kilt in Rancho Cucamonga. For anyone who was there this one was off the hook crazy, the place was packed out it was literally like being in the 3252, here's a video clip I found in my google photos.
Well after that watch party I went to as many watch parties with the Empire Boys as I could, at Goals, The Falconer, as well as meet and greets. I finally got to experience the 3252 at the Banc with the Empire Boys on October 12, 2018 against the Houston Dynamo (the famous weather delay game). Now all you die hard supporters remember this game, it was awesome, even with a almost 2 hour weather delay all of us in the 3252 did not go home, in fact the players and Bob Bradley mentioned us in the press conference. As the season went on I kept attending the watch parties I was able to make it to.
Before the 2019 season started I became an official member of the Empire Boys and I received my scarf, I know this sounds funny but this scarf means so much to me, I'll explain in a bit. I loved the feeling I had when I received my Empire Boys scarf, it made me feel like I was part of something. Let me tell being part of any supporter group you are part of something. The Empire Boys have become my second family, especially these past few months. But being part of a supporter group is so much more than just supporting our favorite football, it's about family, community, brotherhood, sisterhood, and even lending a hand. All the supporter groups in the 3252, join together to help communities, schools, shelters, the homeless, the poor and do fundraising throughout the season and during the off season. There are so many people I'd love to mention in the Empire Boys who have become like brothers and sisters, but I'd feel bad if I forgot someone, and hey we even have a Empire Momma who does so much work at our tailgates and watch parties. Joining the Empire Boys and the 3252 (yes I am official member of the 3252 as well), is one of the best things I have ever done.
Empire Boys watch Party August 3, 2019

Now if you're considering joining a supporter group here are some recommendations. First if you're a LAFC supporter (most of reading this are), join the 3252. It's $30 you become an official member, you get a scarf, a pin, Soccer Stores 20% discount card, discounts at the LAFC team store, as well as you help pay for tifos, drum repair, all the money goes back into the 3252. Now to look your support group. What I highly recommend is to join a group that is located in the area you live. So that way you can easily go to watch parties, carpool to the Banc, make fellow LAFC fans that live in your area. Also when joining these groups the same thing applies as to the 3252, membership fees, but you get some cool stuff, and that money also helps your group. Another thing you can do is go to a Saturday or Sunday game and get there early (Hours early) and go to Christmas Tree lane and get to know all the supporter groups (we all there). Each group is always welcoming, there's tons of food and tons of beer. Find a group that you feel comfortable with, trust me the other groups won't be offended, because in the end we are all the 3252 and we are all there to support our club, Los Angeles Football Club.

Jump for LA Football Club at a watch party


Watch party August 3, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment