Saturday, October 12, 2019

Boozeology Beer and Football


At a recent LAFC pregame tailgate I had the privilege of sitting down with one of the host of the LAFC podcast Shoulder to Shoulder; Jonathan Reimer aka boozeology (on Instagram). We as LAFC supporters are very fourtunite to have so many great podcast to listen to (I'm planning on doing a blog on the LAFC podcasts), and Shoulder 2 Shoulder is one of them. Now through going to tailgates and through social media I've been able to have a friendship with so many other LAFC supporters (we are like family) and Jonathan is one of them. It was a fun interview we actually sat down at the Defenders of the Banc podcast (shout out to Filly and the Scarf) table/tent, and we even had El Cantrin Muerto stop by during the interview. We each drinking a beer I had a Mango Cart Ale and during the interview you'll hear what Jonathan was drinking. This was a fun interview I hope all of you enjoy it.

LAFC Punk: How were you introduced to football?

Boozeology: So football to me was something I discovered when I was 7 years old I was sitting in my grandparents living room, my grandparents were from Germany. When I was 7 years old there was a World Cup it was 1990. Germany happened to go pretty far that year, in fact we took the Cup home that year, so I remember as a 7 year old kid sitting in my grandpa's smokey living room, while he was drinking some beer smoking cigarettes and yelling at the TV screen in German which I didn't understand, but we were watching that World Cup and as Germany was advancing through the World Cup and ended up in the Final and won the Final, the family parties got bigger and the food got bigger and more traditional. I remember for the Final my grandmother made this crazy German feast with red kraut, blue kraut and sour kraut and all the traditional German fixings and the whole family getting together and the excitement of Germany winning the World Cup. That was my introduction to the beautiful game.








LAFC Punk: That's kind of like how I grew up with my dad going to LA Kings games he had season seats since 1972 so for me I was raised on Kings hockey.
Next question. What drew you to LAFC?

Boozeology: Well when I was first a soccer fan in Southern California I actually and shamefully admit I was drawn to the Galaxy because it was the first professional team we had here in Los Angeles, but I quickly realized the people and the culture affiliated with the fan base much of everything affiliated with it just didn't gel with me, culturally opposed to how I felt it was a lot of school European people i never really gravitated to those people I was raised in California I never felt like I was a European kid living in California I felt like a Californian, so much of the Galaxy fans back then were all English people who had first moved here, so they felt as if they were first generation English Americans. There was a lot of intolerance there was a lot of violence there was a lot of bigotry back in that day and none of that appealed to me, so I was drawn to Chivas USA when they came into the league. So I rooted for Chivas USA for a bit, but when they disbanded I stopped following MLS for a little bit. I would pay a little attention to what the Galaxy were doing and I felt like Los Angeles had a connection to soccer through them. But when I heard that LAFC was going to happen I signed up that second and I haven't looked back since.



LAFC Punk: That's very similar to me. How were you introduced to supporter group culture and which supporter group are you part of?

Boozeology: I'm a member of the District 9 Ultras, although I didn't make that decision until a few games into season 1, my roommate and best friend and I who originally bought two season tickets together he ended up starting a family and moving to San Diego and I ended up with the tickets, bummer (sarcastically). He and I wanted to wait and see what was going to manifested physically inside the stadium that ideas and history and that kind of stuff carried some weight. But the ultimate decision would could down to those first few games; who showed up, who participated, who brought the energy, and who brought that environment that we wanted to be part of. So we knew about the Union Ultras from back in the Chivas USA days, so I knew Julio, Rey and Lord Commander those were recognizable figures back then and also from Black Army, with people like Joespsh and stuff like that. But we gave it a clean slate, then 3 games into the first season it was very clear to us that D9U was the place and culture for us. It was the people and the vibe we gelled with the best with us. It was a hard choice, because we loved everyone we met. But when it came down to the easiest culture that we fit into it was D9 for us. We loved the concept of 90 minutes and that time they were the loudest and most vocal, most active group and that's what we were looking for.


LAFC Punk: I actually almost joined Black Army back in the Chivas USA days, but I was living in Upland at the time and the drive back and forth from Upland to Carson was just to far to make that kinds of a commitment. So one of the reasons why I joined Empire Boys last year is because they are the closest to me. I love it especially for viewing parties.
Next question, this should be a fun one; explain a day game tailgate...

Boozeology: Ah man if you've never to a game day tailgate I mean this is the sound your hearing (just imagine music, laughing, people having a fun time), this is one of the best things about LAFC the family extends into a very social atmosphere it's indescribable if you've never been here. I've been to many tailgates for different sports. Every single group sets up there own station and you don't see people with other groups mingling. But this is one giant tailgate where everyone is part of every tent (side note I can testify to this being true, I've become friends with people from almost every SG, and never leave a tailgate hungry or without free drinks). It a experience that people are not use to seeing, it's family, it's social, but it's very interactive, everyone has merchandise, everyone has food, everyone has drinks, everyone from kids to adults are welcome, everyone is accepted of everyone else, if you've never been here for a LAFC tailgate it's unlike anything else of any other sporting event you will see.

LAFC Punk: I see you drinking a Stone Cold Steve Austin IPA (Broken Skull IPA). Which I've been wanting to try because I'm a Stone Cold Steve Austin fan. (As soon as I finished saying this El Cantrin walked up)

LAFC Punk: This is going to be a tough question for you. What is your favorite beer?

Boozeology: Oh gosh that's a real hard question! I mean to preface I've been drinking beer since I was 1 years old (we do not encourage this), I proudly will display the picture of me chugging a beer on my first birthday. Beer is something in my family is part of my family's culture and history it's not then heathen drink that most Americans look at it. It's just simply part of family and life and culture and is more integrated as many people see it. Beer to me is very different than other people see it. I have a terrible answer to this, but it's the most honest answer that I can give. I can;t pick out just one favorite beer, but I'll give you 5 favorite beers...
1. My first beer that I ever had.
2. The beer that I had the greatest experience drinking, which had nothing to do that was in the glass, but had everything to do with the people around me.
3. The beer in which someone gave me and it was a hard felt meaningful gift and when I opened it up and drank it, it spoke to our friendship.
4. The one beer that I bought and saved and cherished and held onto for the longest time until I opened it up and drank it.
5. And finally the beer that I'm drinking right now.

LAFC Punk: That's awesome! Well being that you know beer well, what is the best beer you can get at the Banc?

Boozeology: The beers at Banc of California, so I have to be 100% honest I have not seen one second from any LAFC game but anywhere but the North End, so my beer drinking experience at the Banc have been very very limited I have not seen what all the bars here at the Banc have to offer. But my go to beer when I'm here watching sports is the larger style because it's light it's crisp it's refreshing, it's not too heavy and here at the Banc have to be dos xx, because it's my favorite Mexican beer to have at a sporting event. If you do get a chance to go to the fields which has a wonderful selection of local craft brew selection and try any of the beers from Dry Creek Brewing Company, it's a locally owned, female owned and operated, Belgium style beer and they do great work. What I'm drinking now is from one of my favorite brewing companies here in LA El Segundo Brewing, this is there Steve Austin Broken Skull IPA, but if you ever have a chance to try anything from El Segundo get a IPA they make great IPA's.




LAFC Punk: Yes Austin 3:16 says; I just whopped your ass! You've mentioned your a Dodger fan, what makes going to a LAFC game more special than any other Los Angeles team?

Boozeology: The one thing that separates LAFC from every other LA team is what we are looking at right in front of us. It's the 3252, there is nothing, nothing in Los Angeles with the exception of Pantone 294, but even they are not the same as the 3252, they don't have there own designated space they don't have drums, they don't have the flags and everything the 3252 is. If you've never experienced that moment of being among the 3252 and the energy and whirlpool of culture and so much passion and energy, it's indescribable until you experience it learn your first Spanish chant, you're there screaming on the top of your lungs saying words you may not understand, but words that resonate with this culture and community it's unlike any other experience you will have in Los Angeles.

LAFC Punk: Final question, in your podcast you end with the question what does Shoulder to Shoulder mean to you? (By the way I'd love to be on your podcast sometime). My last question is always what does being part of the 3252 mean to you?

Boozeology: It means that there are 3251 people who have my back no matter what! It doesn't matter who I vote for, it doesn't matter who I pray to, it doesn't matter who I work for, doesn't matter where my money goes, all that matters is that for 90 minutes I surrender to something more passionate and powerful than I can be by myself. So as long as your willing to pay that price for 90 minutes of your passion, these people will do anything and be anything for you, they will support you through the heaviest things a person could experience and could speak to that and they will stand with you through the lightest and heaviest of moments and that's exactly what you can get from a friend and if your a 3252 member you just gained 3251 friends.

LAFC Punk: Beautiful, I LOVE THAT ANSWER.



No comments:

Post a Comment