Sunday, October 27, 2019

Why We Love LAFC


First and foremost to whoever it was that approached me in the 3252 after LAFC finally beat Carson at the playoff match and encouraged me to write more, thank you. I know we met briefly at a tailgate but this blog is dedicated you and all of us who support LAFC.

In my first blog I talked about how I became a LAFC supporter. But this blog I will be writing about why we love LAFC. The reason why I say "we" instead of why "I" love LAFC is because on Instagram and on my SG (Empire Boys) slack page I asked why you love and support LAFC. In fact on Instagram I used it as a opportunity to get a free Supporters Shield patch, and trust me I wish I had more to giveaway and not sell them for $25 like other people. So this blog is for the LAFC family, and I will talk about how we are truly like family when it comes to fellow LAFC supporters.



I started following LAFC as soon as I heard the announcement of the club after Chivas USA folded, and I remember getting emails and updates with the logo above. Now despite what many Galaxy supporters claim, that all LAFC supporters are old Chivas USA supporters it's not true, yes I am one of them, but to be honest it's a lot smaller than most people think, and yes I know and understand two of our largest supporter groups; Black Army and District 9 Ultras are formerly Chivas USA supporters, but most LAFC supporters are actually new to MLS and had never supported any MLS club, in fact I've met around the same amount of former Galaxy supporters than I met former Chivas USA supporters.



Since I mentioned Chivas USA I guess I have to talk about them (yes I know it's a white elephant amongst LAFC supporters) since it's a club I use to support and even had mini ticket plans for when they were around. Now the first football club I started following back in around 1998 was Chivas de Guadalajara, because it's the area of Mexico my grandpa came from. So when Chivas USA entered MLS I jumped on board, and man were they were bad in their first season, I mean real bad worse than Cincinnati FC, Chivas USA finished their first season with a 4-22-6 record good for only 18 points and a goal differential of -36, the leading goal scorer Hector Cuadros had only 4 goals. Yeah it was bad, I went to the first match against DC United if memory serves me correct, it was 2-0 loss. That first season was embarrassing, but I stuck with the club. In 2006 the club got a new coach Bob Bradley (sound familiar) and the club got rid of the B squad of the Guadalajara club and brought in some great young players like; Brad Guzan, Jonathan Bornstien, Sacha Kljestan, and a proven MLS goal scoring veteran Ante Razov. This was a fun exciting club to watch I was there when they beat the Galaxy for the first time, and yes the Galaxy dominated this rivalry. In fact I had a 10 game package, but Bob Bradley completely changed the club. Bob was so great he won coach of the year and was only there one season because he went to go coach the US Men's National Club. Chivas USA went on to have a couple more good years under Preki. But the team ownership became a joke, and the club had very small support. Which is why I say there are not many former Chivas USA supporters who are LAFC supporters, because let's be honest there was not that many of us. Perfect example I would buy a general admission ticket and then go sit any where I wanted in the stadium, normally behind the team benches, most nights there would be around 10'000 people there, except for the Galaxy then the Galaxy supporters would pack out the stadium. Oh yea Chivas USA played in the Home Depot Center, the home of the Galaxy, Chivas USA was pretty much the unwanted house guest that no one wanted around. Long story short Chivas USA folded in 2014, it was time. But enough about Chivas USA, and yes I had great times watching them, in 2007-2008 they had some great matches against the David Beckham Galaxy.





Now for the whole reason for this article; "Why We Love LAFC". Like I previously mentioned I started following this club the minute I heard MLS announce they would be entering the league. Like most other Los Angeles area soccer fans I use to go to Galaxy games especially back in the Rose Bowl days, but when the club moved to Home Depot Center in Carson there seemed to be a disconnect with the fans, and I'm not the only one to think this, I've talked to several other people who felt the same way, I thought I was the only one. Once they made the announcement of a new Los Angeles MLS club actually playing in the city of Los Angeles I along with many other football (soccer) fans in Los Angeles were excited. Also when I heard the stadium was going to be in Exposition Park I loved the idea. In fact I use to tell people that I wished Chivas USA could get the money to tear down the old LA Sports Arena and build a soccer specific stadium, I always felt a soccer team right there could be huge. Well jump ahead to 2018 and we have Banc of California Stadium and LAFC.



The first match in LAFC history took place on March 4, 2018 in Seattle against the Sounders. Seattle has always been a tough place to play and a tough place to win a road game, Seattle has some of the most passionate supporters in MLS and usually have around 40'000 fans at their matches. Well as all us LAFC supporters know, in the 11th minute Diego Rossi scored the first goal against the Sounders. I remember watching this game and what stood out the most is not what I saw but what I heard. Here this is the first game in franchise history and you could LAFC supporters in the crowd in Seattle. The following month LAFC finally got to have a home match, also against Seattle, and we know how that ended.

In a very short period LAFC had taken the city of Los Angeles bye storm, they became the hottest ticket in town. On July 15, 2018 I finally made it to a match. This day made me not just a fan but a true supporter, I was blown away by the atmosphere at the Banc, it was like everything I've ever heard about matches in Europe and Latin America, especially the 3252. The second I got home I researched to see if there were any Supporter groups where I live in the Inland Empire, and I found out about the Empire Boys. Right away I started going to every watch party I could, and I found a whole new brother/sisterhood. Then on October 12, 2018 my life would change forever, I got a ticket in the 3252 and joined the Empire Boys for 90 minutes of chanting, jumping and passion. Now this game I attended is known as the "rain delay game". It was amazing to be at, in fact the players and Bob Bradley mentioned the 3252 in the press conference interviews. Now I am an official member of the 3252 and the Empire Boys.

I'm in there (October 24, 2019 vs Galaxy)
My Empire Boys/Girls Family

Now for some of the reasons why I love LAFC. I'm going to try to make it short so that way I can use all the quotes I got from some of you, thank you so much. For me being a LAFC supporter is a lot more than just the football as Bob Bradley says. When you're a fan/supporter of LAFC you are family, and if you go to the tailgates you will truly experience this. I look at it like this the 3252 is family, Empire Boys are my immediate family (brothers, sisters, we have moms, dads). The other Supporter Groups are your other family like your cousins and aunts and uncles. I've been able to become friends with so many others from other SG, along with others at the tailgate like Defenders of the Banc podcast. If you are hungry someone will feed you if you want a beer trust me you will get a beer, if you just want to laugh and hang out you will find that. Then inside the stadium you can walk around and just keep bumping into friends you make at the games. I recently took a co-worker of my to a game, he told me he felt like he was hanging out with a celebrity walking around with me, and yes I even got us free beer, thank you Inland Element. Well there's all that and it's also that this club from the front office (shout out to LAFC Rich, I think everyone knows him), the players, the ushers, and your fellow supporters we all love LAFC, win, lose or draw we will continue to sing, chant, jump and support our club. I've seen every professional team in LA and the LA area, and there's nothing like going to a LAFC game, if you haven't gone, just go, you'll love it.

Alright now to use some of your great quotes, thank you again to all of you who sent me messages...

The first quote comes from my fellow Empire Boy brother Tye. I'm picking him first because him and his family all love LAFC. If you have ever attended a Empire Boys watch party you will definitely know his kids, I'm pretty sure they will be capos one day. His older daughter is the youngest of the 90+ minute pin club (90+ minute pin goes to the person at the game or watch party who shows the most passion, I tried for it at the playoff against Carson, but I'll take the win over them). Tye is also a member of the 90+ minute club, he's also a great loving guy, so Tye thanks for your quote and brotherhood, you and your family are amazing.

Tye Macias
I guess a quick answer for me is Shoulder to Shoulder! I love the team itself but it wouldn't be the same without the 3252

(Instagram california_kid) He's also one of the winners of the patches I gave away
Honestly when they first announced Carlos Vela it seemed right to support the team because of him, since I'm Mexican. But if you ask me now who my favorite player is, I couldn't really tell you. I've fallen love with the club, the colors and what it represents. I feel I found something I can finally belong to.

(Instagram kevin_andre_)
I support LAFC because they brought the worlds game to the greatest city. Their community outreach is world class.

(Empire Brother Tyler Pardee)
It's the fan experience for anyone and everyone who enters! The game is great,but you'll find great teams across the world. I think the players would agree that the North End is the amazing piece of the game.

(Instagram omar.3722)
I support LAFC because I really feel like this team is like a family. The supporters are amazing, they are so passionate in this team, I've never seen something like it.

I've never supported a MLS team like this one because none are like this great club!

I've been with this team since the first match, I was ecstatic when we won our match! I went crazy when Vela broke Martinez's record, and when we won the Supporters Shield. When we win the MLS Cup, I'm going to yell and yell because we're the best team!

I don't support this team because of the "bandwagon", I support it because it is like a family.

(Instagram juan_rodriguez482)
I support LAFC born and raised in LA. The passion the connection between players and fans and the love of the sport.

(Instagram diegochinchilla_)
I support LAFC because ever since I was small I was a chivas USA fan, and when they disappeared I was sad. I knew better than to become a galaxy fan though, so I waited patiently for something new to pop up in LA. Once LAFC came around, I instantly became a fan without thinking twice about it. Now I follow them!

(Instagram stevelamas)
I support LAFC because they're more than just another football club. They care about the community and the community cares about the club.

(Instagram glass6969)
I support lafc because I was a galaxy supporter for 20+ years but I got tired of the “old” coaching, “old” players and “old” style of futbol. Lafc has breathed new life into LA futbol and it’s amazing to be part of the attacking style and thrilling fan base! I’m all in!

(Instagram armando_mtzz) another winner of a patch
I support LAFC because growing up in the United States, I was jealous of the passion that some of the biggest European teams and never thought I would experience it until LAFC was established.

Last quote comes from one of our great Empire Boys leaders, I picked this to close out because it made me laugh, and for those of you who watched the ESPN+ documentary on LAFC or ever watched a Bob Bradley interview you'll love this quote.

Edgar Rivera
Bob and his ideas of good football!

Thanks again to everyone. And please reach out to me on my Twitter and Instagram. If you have a podcast I'm down to being on. I'm writing this on October 27, 2019; two days after our playoff victory over the Carson Galaxy and two days before our Western Conference Final against the Seattle Sounders. Win or lose we will forever support LAFC,





No comments:

Post a Comment